The Diocese of Allentown requires every student, regardless of religious affiliation, to attend at least one retreat per year.
NDHS provides class retreats to assist in fulfilling the Diocesan retreat requirement. Information regarding dates and permission slips will be given to your student through their Theology class, announcements made in school, emails sent to students and home to families.
- Kairos retreat (available for Seniors to attend twice a year, once in the Spring and Fall.)
- March for Life
- All girls retreat
- All boys retreat
- Diocesan retreat
- In school 40 hours (must be present for both days)
Community Service (Service Hours)
Community service is integral to the mission of Notre Dame High School, Inc. and should make visible the Gospel message of Jesus Christ reflected in the Corporal Works of Mercy. The Catechism of the Catholic Church sees service in terms of virtue, which in paragraph 1803 describes as “A virtue is an habitual and firm disposition to do the good. It allows the person not only to perform good acts, but to give the best of himself/herself. The virtuous person tends toward the good with all his/her sensory and spiritual powers; he/she pursues the good and chooses it in concrete actions.”
Approved service work:
- All hours will be performed for non-profit charitable organization that can include your school, parish, Catholic and non-Catholic charitable organizations, CYO and youth sports organizations or other community organizations outside of the school. All service should support the mission of the Catholic Church. Please see Mrs. Hodgskin with any questions.
- No form of payment can be accepted for service hours
- No service can be performed for a business unless it is a non profit
- No service can be performed for personal family members
- Students who participate in ND’s miniThon will receive 10 hours towards their service hour requirement
Community service hours are an integral piece of a student’s education at Notre Dame High School. Each year the students will complete 20 hours of community service. Hours must be completed by the end of the third marking period. Hours completed over the summer must be turned in to the Campus Ministry Office by September 30th. Additionally, service forms must be turned in within one calendar month after completion of service. No service hours will be credited after one calendar month. In that regard, students who neglect to complete their service hours and return the necessary paperwork to Campus Ministry by the deadlines will be put on social suspension until the required hours have been submitted. This means that they are not permitted to participate in sports, clubs, dances (including Prom), or participate in other extracurricular activities through the school until the hours are completed. In addition, students may not receive their report cards at the end of the year, register for classes for the following year and seniors may not graduate.
Service Hours Form
Service Hours Volunteer Opportunities
2022-2023 Service Hour Opportunity Links:
- Cops ‘n’ Kids
- Catholic Charities Allentown Diocese
- Liliana’s Helping Hands
- Miracle League of Northampton County
- Healthy Animal Center
- Lehigh Valley Humane Society
- Feed the Children
- Easton Area Public Library
- St. Luke’s Health Network Volunteers
- Lehigh Valley Health Network Volunteers
- Lehigh Valley Zoo
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley
Volunteer at your church, local library, animal shelter, nursing home, camps.