week of February 3rd
Essay 2 due: Friday 2/14/2020, no later than 11:59pm (please email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Objective 2: Film as a storytelling device. Mise-en-scene and the Aesthetics of Meaning/Early Silent Film Era
- How did silent films tell stories without sound?
- How did film styles (German Expressionism) alter the scenery of film?
- Did the purpose of film change?
- What political and social factors affected film throughout the world from 1915-late 1920s? Please elaborate.
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Robert Wiene, Mystery/ Thriller, (1920)(GE)
- clip from Nosferatu, F.W. Murnau, Fantasy, ( 1922) (GE)
- clip from Metropolis, Fritz Lang, Drama/ Sci-fi, (1927) (GE)
- clip from The Circus, Charlie Chaplin, Romance/Comedy (1928) (UK)
- clip: Within Our Gates, Oscar Micheaux, Classic/drama (1920) USA
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ed4k4ZoBQhttps://www.naacp.org/naacp-history-oscar-micheaux/The General, Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman, USA 1927https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-general-1926
Tests / Quizzes
No upcoming tests or quizzes.
No homework due.